Knights Council 1668 gala marks 100 years

GREENVILLE—Knights of Columbus Council 1668 celebrated its centennial on Jan. 12 with a Mass and gala.

Past Grand Knight Marty Riley welcomed the guests, Byrnes High School ROTC presented the colors, the Pledge of Allegiance was led by Faithful Navigator Ken Koschnitzki, and their chaplain, Father Dwight Longenecker, gave the invocation.

Letters printed in the program from Supreme Knight Carl Anderson, and fellow Knight, Bishop Robert E. Guglielmone, congratulated the council as a beacon of Columbianism stating they truly invoked the orders principals of “Charity, Unity, Fraternity and Patriotism.”

Council 1668 was chartered on Jan. 12, 1913, at St. Mary Church in Greenville with 55 members, and was the first in the Upstate. It is now affiliated with Our Lady of the Rosary and St. Anthony of Padua churches.

In 1953, the council was officially named after Msgr. Andrew K. Gwynn, one of the initial members and its first official chaplain.

The current officers are: Fr. Dwight Longenecker, Chaplain

William “Bill” Hooks, Grand Knight

Dan Catena, Deputy Grand Knight

Sean Mulholland, Financial Secretary

Ray Ireland, Chancellor

Frank Bufis, Recorder

Brendan Treanor, Treasurer

Douglas K Sallurday, Advocate

David Abbott, Warden

Mike Cumby, Inside Guard

Thomas Ward, Outside Guard

Donald Robert Leporte, 1st Year Trustee

Eric Bricco, 2nd Year Trustee

Richard Cortese, 3rd Year Trustee

Click here to read more.